The mission of Hope House is to end homelessness and create healthy communities.
Hope House was originally created in 1987 by five local churches to address homelessness on Milwaukee’s Southside, Hope House has evolved from a short-term emergency shelter into a long-term transitional housing facility and true community center that offers numerous programs and activities to assist men, women and children. It is the mission of Hope House to end homelessness and create healthy communities.
Through all of our efforts, Hope House works to improve our community. Our three primary goals are –
- To reduce homelessness in families and individuals;
- To improve the educational levels of youth and adults; and
- To enhance the health of community residents through reduced hunger and better access to medical care.
Hope House has fused best practice research, real-world experience, and consumer input into programming that is designed to address the problems of homelessness and poverty. Sadly, the same needs exist.
We are working to meet our three primary goals through several programs:
- Chrysalis Program – transitional housing for single women, pregnant women, and families;
- Thresholds Program – Emergency housing for single men;
- SRO/Surgeon’s Quarters – Transitional housing for single men & women on the VA grounds with a preference for veterans;
- Johnston Center Residences – Located on the south side of Milwaukee the building houses 41 chronically homeless individuals and 50 at high-risk of homelessness;
- Angel of Hope Clinic – Medical care for Milwaukee County residents without health insurance;
- Shining Stars Youth Education Program – Our free year-round children’s program offering after school tutoring, workshops, and summer field trips;
- Pathways to Progress – Our adult education program with a GED program and workshops focusing on several different topics from resume building to nutrition;
- Protective Payee – Financial oversight and management for people with mental illness and poor financial histories;
- Community Organizing – Planning events and forums for neighborhood residents, working to reduce crime and addressing neighborhood issues.
We need your help to keep our programming running and expanding. Please consider donating today and supporting members of your community in their struggle to escape poverty and homelessness.